Croatia Post Brexit

Visiting Croatia Post Brexit in 2021

We are here – over four and a half years after Britain voted to leave the EU, the country is finally, officially, no-going-back-now, doing it. (Well, it actually officially left in January 2020 but what with the transition period to the end of the year, there wasn’t much of a difference.) But what does Britain leaving the EU mean for Brits travelling to Croatia in 2021? Here we’ll a look at the changes to visiting Croatia post Brexit.

Croatia Post Brexit

Entering Croatia Post Brexit

Updated Please see that latest entry conditions for Croatia for ‘third-country nationals’ (i.e. non EU citizens/residents) or our Croatia Travel Restrictions 2021 page.

Immigration/Passport Control

Don’t forget that when you’re entering Croatia or any other EU country, British travellers can no longer use the EU/EEA queue at passport control. 🙁

EU Visa Waiver

The EU will be introducing its own visa waiver programme (much the same as the one for visiting the U.S.) in 2022. Named ETIAS – European Travel Information and Authorisation System – British travellers will need to apply for this visa waiver before visiting Croatia and the EU once the system is up and running.


From 1st January 2021, British travellers will need to have six months left on their passports when travelling to the EU, Croatia included. Do make sure that your passport is not due to expire in the next six months if you’re travelling to Croatia/the EU.

You passport does also need to have been issued within the last ten years.

Length of stay in Croatia

When visiting the EU post Brexit, British travellers will only be able to stay for 90 days in any 180 day period in the Schengen Zone.

This is very relevant in the case of Croatia as – although, of course, the country is part of the EU – it is not yet part of the Schengen Zone. (Although is inching ever closer to joining!) But just like for the Schengen Zone, British travellers will be permitted to spend 90 days in any 180 day period in Croatia.

That means, as it stands, British travellers could spend 90 days in Croatia and then still spend another 90 days in the Schengen Zone. And, technically, you could then return to Croatia for another 90 days, and then back to the Schengen Zone for another 90 days…

Driving in Croatia Post Brexit

Driving Licenses

Updated You now do not need to hold an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in Croatia or the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Lichtenstein. You can confirm this on the GOV.UK website.

British travellers will be required to obtain an International Driving Permit in order to hire a car in the EU, including in Croatia. These can be easily obtained from your local Post Office and cost £5.50.

Green Card

You will need to obtain a ‘green card’ from your motor insurer if you are intending to visit Croatia with your own vehicle. This green card shows that you have the minimum level of motor insurance for your vehicle.

Croatia Post Brexit - Slovenia/Croatia Border
The border between Slovenia and Croatia

EHICs and Travel Insurance

Updated EHICs remain valid until their expiry date. So if yours is still valid, you can still ‘use’ it when visiting the EU.

Updated Global Health Insurance Cards (GHICs) will replace EHICs for UK citizens. If your EHIC has already expired (or you don’t have one), you can apply for a GHIC on the NHS website.

From 1st January 2021, the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will no longer be valid for British travellers to Croatia and the rest of the EU.

Please make sure you obtain appropriate travel insurance (which you should really have been doing anyway) before travelling to Croatia.

Data roaming

British travellers may no longer enjoy free data roaming in the EU from 1st January 2021. *sound of thousands of Instagrammers crying*

However, you should really contact your mobile phone provider to find out what charges (if any) are applicable for phone and data use for you in the EU from 1st January 2021.

Customs Restrictions

When returning from Croatia, an EU country, to the UK you are now limited as to the amount of goods you can bring back. There is a limit on personal goods worth £390, as well as additional limits on alcohol and tobacco. You can see these limits on the GOV.UK website. Any amount above these allowances must be declared.

Travelling with Pets

Those travelling with pets to Croatia or the EU need to obtain an animal health certificate (instead of a pet passport) before heading off. You can find out more information on this on the GOV.UK website.

More Information on Visiting the EU and Croatia Post Brexit

The British government has its own guide to Visiting Europe from 1 January 2021. Take a look there to find out more information on travelling to the EU, or if you’re a British national living in the EU.