The bus service in Croatia is first class: from frequent express buses that cover longer distances that are reasonably comfortable right down to bus connections between the smallest villages in the country. The train network in Croatia is somewhat on the limited side (as there’s no train service that travels along the coast), so travelling by bus is far preferable. Bus travel in Croatia is also inexpensive, and the newish motorways that exist in parts of the country have reduced journey times considerably.
In almost every larger town, there is a large (or large-ish) bus terminal (autobusni kolodvor) where tickets are sold and timetables are clearly displayed.
Bus Travel in Croatia – Companies
Please see the following websites for timetable and price details. (Unfortunately, some of these websites are in Croatian only!)
- Autotransport Karlovac
- Antonio Tours Routes from Pag (Novalja & Pag Town) to Zadar, Sibenik, Trogir, Split and Zagreb
- APP Variety of domestic routes
- AP Varazdin Lines from Varazdin across the country
- Autoherc Variety of routes, mainly along the coast, plus international ones too
- Autopoduzece Imotski Routes between main cities
- Autotransport Sibenik Variety of routes to and from Sibenik that also include stops in other major towns
- Autotrans Rijeka based company offering many routes all over Croatia, and international ones – now offering online booking!
- Brioni Pula based company
- Clissa Operate services between Zagreb and Split by motorway, so it’s a ‘fast’ five-hour journey
- Crnja Tours Routes connecting Zagreb and Istria (Porec, Rovinj, Pula, Novigrad, Umag)
- Croatia Bus Zagreb based company
- Dalmacija Bus Operate a route between Zagreb and Split, which stops in Sibenik and Trogir
- Panturist Routes from Osijek to Zagreb and the coast
- Polet Routes from Vinkovci, which includes Zagreb – Rijeka – Porec – Rovinj – Pula and Zadar – Sibenik – Trogir – Split – Makarska
- Promet Makarska Routes from Makarska down the coast and to Zagreb
- Promet Split Routes in and around Split
- Puntamika Have routes between Zagreb & Zadar, and Split and Zadar
- Samoborcek Routes between Zagreb and Split
- Velebit Tours Operate a route between Zagreb & Zadar
Bus Travel in Croatia – Bus Terminals
Timetables can also be found at the following websites:
Autobusni Kolodvor is also a useful website on which you can look up bus timetables for the whole of Croatia.
Bus Travel in Croatia – Ticket Prices
Please see our guide to bus ticket prices in Croatia, which also details how long certain journeys take, as well as the frequency of routes.
Bus Travel in Croatia – Tips
Read our useful tips on bus travel in Croatia!