Another very successful year for festivals in Croatia in 2016 saw many old favourites return and many new names appear on the calendar. The number of top quality – not to mention FUN – events means that Croatia is proving to be the festival destination in mainland Europe. There’s also something for everyone, whether you want a pop & rock event; a huge stadium festival with big name DJs; EDM; a boutique and laid-back festival by the sea; partying day and night in some of the best clubs in Europe…the list goes on!
Festivals in Croatia get many repeat visitors year after year – but if you’ve never been to an event, why not give it a go in 2017?
We’re in the process of updating this section for festivals in Croatia 2017, so keep coming back to see all the latest Croatian festival news!
Festivals in Croatia 2017
- Hideout Festival
Novalja, island of Pag, 26th – 30th June 2017
Plenty of names already on the bill for the sixth Hideout
- Love International
Tisno, 28th June – 5th July 2017
Following a very successful first year, Love International is full-on planning their 2017 event!
- Ultra Europe
Split, 14th – 16th July 2017
Ultra Europe’s fifth year is sure to be just as magical in Split’s Poljud Stadium, with accompany after-parties on the islands!
Festivals in Croatia 2016
- Electro Dance Madness
Novalja, island of Pag, 16th – 19th June 2016
Part of Spring Break Croatia, the second edition of this festival will see revellers partying it up on a platform over the sea!
- INmusic Festival
Zagreb, 20th – 22nd June 2016
Croatia’s largest open air festival is now in its eleventh year – Florence + The Machine will be performing at this year’s event
- Electric Elephant
Tisno, 7th – 11th July 2016
Electric Elephant returns to Tisno with a cracking line-up
- Fresh Island Festival
Novalja, island of Pag, 12th – 14th July 2016
Hip hop’s finest names head to Zrce Beach for fun in the sun
Tisno, 20th – 27th July 2016
Another week of revelry from the crew behind Southport Weekender
- Seasplash Festival
Pula, 21st – 25th July 2016
The fourteenth Seasplash will bring together an eclectic mix of musical styles and genres
- Love Week Festival
Novalja, island of Pag, 23rd – 30th July 2016
7 days of fun in Croatia’s party hotspot
- Movement Croatia
Tisno, 28th July – 1st August 2016
island of Obonjan, 28th July – 6th September
New for 2016 – a full festival season on an eco-friendly island, with music, DJs, wellness, talks, workshops and much more.
- Soundwave Croatia
Tisno, 4th – 8th August 2016
Soundwave returns to its new early August slot for its eighth edition
- Stereo Forest
Novalja, island of Pag, 8th – 10th August 2016
EDM at Kalypso – one of Zrce Beach’s best clubs and the oldest beach club in southeastern Europe!
- Defected Croatia
Tisno, 11th – 15th August 2016
Another brand new event at The Garden Tisno from Ibiza regulars
- Membrain Festival
Sibenik, 18th – 21st August 2016
New for this year, the best of underground bass culture at an abandoned ex-military base
- Sonus Festival
Novalja, island of Pag, 21st – 25th August 2016
Another top dance festival in Croatia’s prime party spot!
Pula, 25th – 28th August 2016
The little sister of Outlook (below), another top-notch electro festival held in the same stunning venue
- Outlook Festival
Pula, 1st – 4th September 2016
Ever been to a festival in a beautiful old fort? With an opening ceremony in a Roman amphitheatre? No?! Here’s your chance!
Tisno, 1st – 5th September 2016
The revelry in Tisno continues into September this year!
Reviews of Festivals in Croatia
Unsurprisingly, almost all of the festivals that are held in Croatia are very highly regarded and well reviewed by the music press. Here’s some reviews of festivals held in previous years:
- 10 things a session in Croatia taught us (Mixmag, 19th September 2014)
- Festival Guide – Review: Barrakud Croatia 2014 (Platform, 25th August 2014)
- Garden Festival and Electric Elephant 2014: The DiS Review (Drowned in Sound, 27th July 2014)
- Not going to Glastonbury? Try Eastern Europe’s more affordable festival alternatives (Daily Telegraph, 23rd June 2014)
- Unknown Festival 2013 Review (1883 Magazine, September 2013)
- Croatia’s new Unknown festival ‘unique’ says co-founder (BBC Newsbeat, 7th September 2013)
- Dimentions Festival 2013 Review (Skiddle, 16th September 2013)
- Terraneo 2013 review: Živjeli to sunshine and madness in a military setting (The Independent, 13th August 2013)
- Ultra Music Festival invades Europe (The Independent, 8th August 2013)
- Review: Garden Festival 2013 (Skiddle, 18th July 2013)
- Europe’s Best Summer Festivals, which includes FOR Festival, Garden and Terraneo (Forbes, 12th June 2013)
- ‘Knee deep in mud at an English festival? Give me Spain any day’ (Guardian, 26th May 2013)
- Festivals guide 2013 listings: European (Guardian, 11th May 2013)
- Is Croatia Europe’s best festival destination? (Guardian, 10th May 2013)
- Croatian holiday? The festivals are looking fine (InTheMix, 17th January 2013)
- INmusic Festival – Croatia (ClashMusic.com, 3rd July 2012)
- Outlook Festival 2011 (ClashMusic.com, 7th September 2011)
- Soundwave Festival (The Independent, 25th August 2011)
- Review: Electric Elephant 2010 (Skiddle.com, 29th Septemeber 2010)
- Interrail: Music (on Soundwave – The Spectator, September 2010)
- Croatia – the Dalmatian Coast and Garden Festival (Scotland on Sunday, 24th August 2010)
- Garden Festival (The Guardian, 18th July 2010)
- T-Mobile INmusic festival: LCD Soundsystem, The Flaming Lips and Billy Idol rock Croatia (Metro, 28th June 2010)
- A Massive Attack of music in Croatia (BBC 6 Music, 24th June 2010)
- How Croatia splashed on to the music festival map (on The Garden Festival – The Guardian, 3rd May 2009)
The very well-known Exit Festival is held in the neighbouring country of Serbia and is an amazingly fun event to attend – and perfect for combining with a holiday in Croatia.
Started in 2000 as a protest against the political system at the time (and initially a dance music event), Exit has now grown considerably to become one of Europe’s top festivals. A whole host of big names appear each year – 2016’s line-up included David Guetta, Ellie Goulding, Bastille, The Prodigy, The Vaccines, Hurts and George Clinton amongst many, many others.
Held in the impressive Petrovaradin Fortress at night-time (festival hours are 9pm to 6am each day), many head to Exit as a chance to experience an incredibly fun – not to mention eclectic – foreign festival in a cheaper setting.