Here’s a rundown on getting to Istria from the UK and Ireland and Europe by air, bus or sea (from Italy), and reaching Istria from the rest of Croatia. You might also like to utilise flights from the UK to airports in Italy that are close to Istria, such a Trieste and Venice.
Getting to Istria – Flights from the UK and Ireland to Pula
The only airport in Istria is Pula Airport, to where the following airlines all fly.
- Ryanair has flights two times a week from London Stansted from the end of March to the end of October
- Croatia Airlines have direct flights from London Gatwick once a week to Pula
- Thomsonfly also have flights from London Gatwick, Birmingham and Manchester to Pula – all operating twice a week
- Jet2.com have flights from Leeds Bradford, Newcastle and Manchester to Pula this summer as well as a new for 2014! Edinburgh to Pula route – all flights operate once a week
- Aer Lingus also have a new for 2014! route from Dublin to Pula
Getting to Istria – Flying to Italy from the UK
Before the advent of low-cost flights direct to Croatia, many visitors to Istria would often fly to nearby Italian airports (Trieste is the closest, Venice is also reasonably near) and then make their way to their chosen Istrian resort. See our guides on Travelling from Trieste and Venice for full information on how to take advantage of flying to one of these airports.
Getting to Istria – Flights from Europe
The majority of the flights listed below only operate during summer months.
Flights from Belgium to Pula:
- Ryanair from Brussels Charleroi
Flights from the Czech Republic to Pula:
- Smartwings from Prague
Flights from Denmark to Pula:
- SAS from Copenhagen
Flights from France to Pula:
- Ryanair from Paris
Flights from Finland to Pula:
- Blue1 from Helsinki
Flights from Germany to Pula:
- Air Berlin from Friedrichshafen
- Croatia Airlines Frankfurt
- Germanwings from Cologne/Bonn and Berlin
- Intersky from Friedrichshafen
- Lufthansa from Munich
- TUIfly from Cologne/Bonn
- Ryanair from Frankfurt Hahn
Flights from The Netherlands to Pula:
Flights from Norway to Pula:
Flights from Russia to Pula:
- S7 Airlines from Moscow
Flights from Serbia to Pula:
- JAT flights from Belgrade
Flights from Sweden to Pula:
Getting to Istria via Zagreb
If you can’t find a direct flight from your home city – whether that’s in the UK or elsewhere in Europe – to Pula, try flying via Zagreb with Croatia Airlines.
Getting to Istria by bus or train from Italy
Bus is really a much better option for getting to Istria rather than train. Due to its proximately to Italy, there are a number for bus routes from Trieste – see timetables on the Trieste Bus Station website. Buses stop at Buje, Porec and Rovinj (as well as some other places) along the way to Pula – but please check timetables carefully! There is also a bus from Venice to Pula that is run by FILS. Brioni also run a service to Pula (which stops at Vodnjan, Rovinj and Buje along the way) that starts in Padua (Padova) with stops also in Venice and Trieste.
Getting to Istria by Ferry from Italy
Venezia Lines have fast catamaran services from Venice to Porec, Rovinj, Pula and Rabac during summer.
Getting to Istria from elsewhere in Croatia
Croatia Airlines have direct flights from both Zagreb and Zadar. There are buses from various Croatian towns and cities to Pula and elsewhere in Istria – you can find timetables on the websites of Pula-based bus companies Brioni or FILS.